Saturday, April 23, 2011

What was today like all those years ago?

The tomb is sealed.  Just as it was so long ago.  I have to wonder, what was it like for Jesus' followers?  Where they numb with shock, just going through the motions?  Were they racked with grief almost unable to move?  Were they angry and bitter, wondering what had been the point?  When I let the dogs out this morning it seemed a perfect spring morning, dewy grass, birds singing, beautiful fresh air-was it like that for them, and did it seem somehow wrong?  Did they wonder at the fact that the world still turned-even though someone like Him had died? Oh, what a horrible death it was.  Long, drawn out and painful, more than any man should have to go through. 
  We put a clay caterpillar wrapped in white linen into the tomb last night before bed.  Eliz placed the stone over the entrance, and I made sure it was on there tight.  What will it be like, come Sunday morn? 
  We also had our first Passover meal, a Seder, last night.  We were going to have it on Thursday, but because of Bry-D's work we had it last night.  I didn't take pictures, though I kept thinking I should, so we could see the pictures and remember.  It was nothing like a Seder probably.  Bry-D hates change, and a Passover meal is definitely change.  It's also traditional, and full of ritual, which we usually avoid like the Plague.  But, as I sought God for something to make Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday more important than Christmas, a tradition that would teach my children that these days are so much more than bunnies, candy, and eggs, He lead me to Passover.  The more I researched, the more excited I got.  Bry-D, however, was less than thrilled.   He was willing, just not enthusiastic.  Which is his normal reaction to, well, just about everything.  If you'd like a visual, imagine Tigger & Eeyore.  The more I bounce the more sedate he gets.  So we did the very minimum.  Some would perhaps say it wasn't a Seder meal, but it was as much as much as I thought I could get Bry-D to do.  We had a Seder plate, Eliz asked the four questions, and we read of the Exodus from the Bible.  It would have been fun to get a picture of the different reactions to the Maror(bitter herbs); Eliz-disgust, Lex-elation. We used horseradish mustard, b/c Bry-D wanted something he could use on a sandwich later.  He ruined my delicious chicken with it during the meal part.  Well, that's my opinion(I guess you know what my reaction to the Maror was!)  And the Charoset(mixture of apples, nuts, cinnamon & sugar) Eliz & I loved it, Bry-D & Lex nearly spat it out.   We used pita bread because I wasn't sure how the Matzoh would turn out, and Eliz and I throughly enjoyed spreading the Charoset on the pita. 
  It was interesting how naturally Eliz asked the 4 Questions-I hadn't told her about them, but she automatically asked all but one.  It was a good meal, and against his best efforts, I think Bry-D enjoyed it, and once it was done understood the "Why" of it. 
 And so, today, I sit and contemplate.  There's some sewing to do, some cooking, Bry-D's working(of course) but I keep coming back to what was it like on the Sabbath all those years ago?  Did they yet understand?  Did the men grind their teeth and clench their fists in frustration and anger?  Did some hide in shadows, full of shame?  Did the women weep and lay face down, begging God that they would wake up in the morning and find that it had all been a dream, not knowing the dream they were about to experience.   It would seem like cruelty that the day after His death was ordained a day of rest, to be spent being idle, leaving hands and minds with nothing to distract them from what had occurred the day before.  Leaving plenty of opportunity to relive and remember, not just the day before , but the years spent in His presence.  Had they been wrong?  He had done such amazing things, so why was it like this?  How had it ended like this?  I'm sure many saw it as over.  Done, finished, complete.  Jesus was in the grave, what else could happen?  He had raised people from the dead while He was alive, but now that He was dead, what miracle could occur?   Yes, let's remember to ask that when everything seems over-"What miracle could happen?"  And perhaps, we'll see God work the way He did thousands of years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment