Thursday, September 10, 2009

Time wasted, time lost

I don't waste a huge amount of time, but I also don't have very much time. Time is becoming more and more precious to me. I need to rephrase that. You can't manage time anymore than you can manage gravity. You can't decide to walk off the roof and walk straight ahead, or go up, nor can you make travelling 30 miles take 5 minutes one day and 15 minutes the next. You can, however, manage what you do. Your tasks. Your activities. There are not many activities in my life that are, how to put it into words...unimportant?...no, wasteful?...almost...just not the best for me. And as much as I want to accomplish, I have to weed out the things that aren't fruitful, beneficial, or working towards something. In the end, if they aren't helping me accomplish a goal of some sort, why should I do it? None of these things are bad, or wrong, but as I said, I have alot to do, and they just aren't something I need to do. So, Bye-Bye Facebook. See You Later Hulu(and all other tv shows), Adios Ebay & Amazon. People think that not having a tv cuts you off, or makes it harder to spend time doing nothing. In reality, the Internet makes _everything_ more accessible, dangerously so. You can watch/find whatever you want, whenever you want. I've spent hours searching ebay and amazon for the cheapest whatever(that I more than likely don't need), so now I'm only getting on there if Bry-D agrees it's something worth taking the time for. Since he's so cheap, I probably won't be on there much, if ever. I use Bry-D as my filter. If I'm not sure about something, I call him, unless it's a rather girly thing, such as, for my everyday around the house shoes, should they be black or colorful? For those things, I call my sister. She's as cheap as Bry-D, but understands the necessity of style. I've made a little sign that says "Say No!" and I set it in front of the computer and it sits there all day. When I do sign on, I set a timer, and give myself between a half hour and 45 minutes. Just simply having the computer turned off helps alot, and I've considered unplugging it, just to give myself the extra step of inconvenience.

So, what will I be doing if I'm no longer getting on Facebook, Ebay, Amazon, Hulu? For starters, I'm taking care of business. My first priority is my family, and their basic needs-food, clothing and shelter. In the last 18 months my routines have shattered, and with a new child in the mix, I need to change up the routine anyway. My next priority isn't one I really want, but I've committed myself to working @ JBPAC, and getting things organised. This is only for the next 7-9 months, but if I can find a way out, I will be taking it. I just don't like anything that takes away from being with my family, or taking care of my family. What am I passionate about? My family. What am I passionate about doing? Taking care of my family. Which brings me to the next commitment I've got-babysitting for my sister. As with JBPAC, the only reason I don't want to do it is because it takes me out of my house and away from what I really want to be doing. With both obligations, I really enjoy what I'm doing, I make a little money, and the kids enjoy it, it's good for them, so I can say that there's nothing wrong with either of them. I just don't want to do anything that takes me away from my home! There are so many things I want to do, need to do, and everything I've listed takes me away from what I want to do. Not that I never want to babysit for my sister, I just don't want to be her main person. And JBPAC, well, that's another can of worms. Timer's going off, so I'm going to go. I'll come back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment