Friday, June 1, 2012

A New Swimsuit

Last year's bathing suit was awful. It was terrible. I didn't like the style, the color, the fit. So why did I wear it? Because I couldn't find a suit that I liked, or that I could justify spending money on. But I decided that this year would be different! Yes, this year I would buy my swimsuit well in advance, I was not going to go through another summer of hating my one and only swimsuit. Then May beat me to death, and suddenly, it was the week of the 500, and the pool was opening! There I sat, no swimsuit, not even a single trip to look at them.

I had thought of them, however. Or, more specifically, what a swimsuit says about you to other people. Over the winter I saw this video. And I started to think, hey, that's a very good point. In case you don't want to watch the video, here's the summary; this girl was a model for Victoria's Secret- there's a story about that too- she's also a Believer. Once she got married, she felt God was telling her that her body should be for her husband alone. So she stopped modeling for Victoria's Secret. And as I thought about it, I thought about how sweet it would be to promise your husband, “You will be the only man to see this body- it is yours, and yours alone. As much as it is possible for me, I will not allow another man to see my body.”

As I considered this further, it occurred to me that this is very contrary to mainstream thought. Which is part of why there was interest in it. But, isn't it strange that we forget how sacred our bodies are meant to be, and how sacred sex is meant to be, and the connection between them and what we allow people that are not our spouses to see? I'm not advocating full body coverings. In Job 31:1, he said that he made a covenant with his eyes not to look lustfully at a women. How about we as woman make it easy for men not to look? Again, I'm not saying we need to wear things that are completely out of style or unflattering due to fit – we're to be in the world, not of it. So while we dress our best as the Proverbs 31 woman did, we need to be aware of how it will affect men.

I already know I'm not going to allow Eliz to wear two-pieces or bikinis, but what if I'm wearing one? I don't want to send a double message like, you have to be modest, but I don't. I also really, really, really want her to realize that she is not defined by her looks. While the world will constantly tell her to wear more and more indecent outfits, I want her to know that fitting into what media says is best will NOT bring her any joy or contentment. For me, this means no bikini, no two piece. Okay, fine, but I look weird in a one piece. Then I thought of a swim dress. I'd seen some really cute ones last summer, why not see if they'll look good on me? And so, I ordered one from Speedo, and one from Macy's. I got the Speedo one today, and the other one should be here in the next few days.

So excited! Something that I really enjoy about this swim dress? At the pool, it's all, 'Oh, that's so modest!' But if I wore something like this on a date?! People'd be saying, 'Helllloooo TRAMP!' Tee-hee, it's the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment