Sunday, May 1, 2011

Lemonade Day 2011

National Lemonade Day.  You might have heard of it, it's a day for, well, lemonade stands.  When you sign up, you get a lot of helpful material.  It's a program designed to help children learn to start, operate and own a business.  There's a "Caring Adult Guide" & a "Young Entrepreneur Guide".  They take you through steps to running a lemonade stand, and they cover just about everything.  We signed up and I didn't expect alot from my 6 1/2 year old, but she surprised me with her business sense.  She knew what she wanted and had good reasons to back up her choices, there was very little silly girl stuff. 

Starting to mix the lemonade-she chose making strawberry lemonade and pink lemonade with lemon slices.  From the get-go she wanted to serve cookies, chocolate chip, until I pointed out that if we made them with M&M's they would be rainbow cookies. 

I gave her the measurements, and she fixed it. 
She helps me cook alot, so I didn't have much to do with it-other than slicing the fruit.
Daddy got the first taste of her lemonade.  Upon being chastised for drinking more than a cup, he proclaimed himself the sole shareholder of this endeavor, and drank some more.
It was a terrible day for a lemonade stand-it rained all morning long, the sun never came out, and it really wasn't that warm.  But family and kind people stopped, bought, and tipped well.  Though she didn't reach her goal, she did much better than I had expected.  We have enough supplies to do it again, and I think that's her plan.  She did a great job working her stand, smiling and waving @ everyone, asking those with windows open if they wanted lemonade, greeting and thanking.  She watched me with the first few customers, and then took over.  I am very impressed with her, and very proud.  This will probably be a summer of lemonade stands for us. 
A few people commented that they had heard of Lemonade Day on the news, here's our local website for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment